Tuesday, February 14, 2017

WHAT ABOUT LOVE



This specific date has made us think of love and how magical it can appear not just in movies, but also in real life. Whether that's good or bad...Anyway, let's keep it positive. This is our humble list of movies which are truly heartwarming and unspoiled by the irony or cynicism of everyday lives. Here we go...






Yes. Historic tragedy which is presented in the movie through a love story. The chances that there is someone who didn't watch this movie are equal to chances that both of them could have survived together. I guess the romance is related to the fact that even if they didn't, their love did survive. Makes one question if such romance could survive the survival?!

Rose: I know what you must be thinking. "Poor little rich girl, what does she know about misery?
Jack: No, no, that's not what I was thinking. What I was thinking was, what could've happened to this girl to make her think she had no way out?





Great job done here in interpreting love thanks to talented Ryan and Rachel. The realness of their chemistry can be felt in front of the screen, and that's what gives this movie such emotion. Considered cheesy by some, we will not agree. Again, the fight between social status and love where love truly wins - not just for a brief moment, but until the very last end. 

Noah: I am nothing special; just a common man with common thoughts, and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten. But in one respect I have succeeded as gloriously as anyone who's ever lived: I've loved another with all my heart and soul; and to me, this has always been enough.






The irreplaceable and beautiful Whitney Houston and charming Kevin Costner in one of the best interactions we have ever seen. Again, so real and full of emotions that it is hard to believe this was just a movie.

Rachel: Will you grab that jacket for me? The red one, please?
Frank: I'm here to keep you alive, not help you shop.






We love Julia Roberts in romantic comedies, and this one is obviously a classic. No wonder she and Richard continued to work together since their energy is so compatible on the screen. This was never about a prostitute and some rich spoiled guy. This is actually about any girl who struggles to follow the requirements of the hypocritical materialistic world while being completely exploited by it. Suddenly she meets a guy, totally adjusted to this world and in the top of its game, but equally exploited. That's how they recognize each other. At least, that's how we like to think about this movie, and that's why this movie was never obscene to anyone. Not something we could say about ''50 shades of grey'', for example. 


Vivian: People put you down enough, you start to believe it.
Edward Lewis: I think you are a very bright, very special woman.
Vivian: The bad stuff is easier to believe. You ever notice that?






Masterpiece by Richard Linklater, and beautifully interpreted by Ethan Hawke and Julie Deply. Realistic, intelligent, inspiring and full of real life sensations. Their inner world becomes our own world, and magic happens without creating false illusions of life and love. The sequels are as well worthy to watch, more to say, a must-see. 

Celine: You know, I have this awful paranoid thought that feminism was mostly invented by men so that they could like, fool around a little more. You know, women, free your minds, free your bodies, sleep with me. We're all happy and free as long as I can fuck as much as I want.






Another classic, great story, great people and great music. What can you say about Dirty dancing that hasn't been said or felt already. Whoever said this one was cheesy obviously missed the thug life topics such as social and gender prejudices. This movie might be more important today than ever before.

Baby: Me? I'm scared of everything. I'm scared of what I saw, I'm scared of what I did, of who I am, and most of all I'm scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I'm with you.






Wonderful Keanu and Sandra in unconventional love story. Even though it is completely surreal, it makes us forget about impossible and possible and make us believe that there are no such notions. And if you're not a fate believer, this movie offers wonderful lessons of life and love.

Kate: Life is not a book, Alex. And it can be over in a second. I was having lunch with my mother at Daley Plaza and a man was killed right in front of me. He died in my arms. And I thought, "It can't end just like that on Valentine's Day." And I thought about all the people who love him, waiting at home, who will never see him again. And then I thought, "What if there is no one? What if you live your whole life and no one is waiting?''







Two legends equal classic, a breathtaking performance and strong on screen chemistry. Movie based on a book, interpretation which will never cease to shake our hearts.

Francesca: I had thoughts about him I hardly knew what to do with, and he read every one. Whatever I wanted, he gave himself up to, and in that moment everything I knew to be true about myself was gone. I was acting like another woman, yet I was more myself than ever before.






It's been a long time since we've watched mr. Pitt here, never as gentle and as loving as in the role of Joe Black. Surreal, pre-Twilight story about life meeting death through love, offering much more than just some romantic fantasy, questioning human love without making it...base. And then there's mr. Hopkins and brilliant Claire Forlani!

William Parrish: Does she know where she's going? Huh? You see, Susan went for that poor son of a bitch whose body you took. And everything else since has been aftermath. You say you love her but you don't know what love is. She loves you, she doesn't know who you are. You make a deal you're breaking it. Bottom line is, Joe, you're swindling her soul, and you're doing it with your eyes wide open.






If you ever feel like this teenage comedy is your guilty pleasure, try feeling less guilty when we tell you it is an adaptation of Shakespeare play ''The taming of the shrew''. And of course, there's Heath Ledger, pre - everything. 

With these 10 things we'll finish our movie list, right here.

Kat Stratford: Romantic? Hemingway? He was an abusive, alcoholic misogynist who squandered half of his life hanging around Picasso trying to nail his leftovers.



Stop whining about your partner or how you don't have a partner or how there is no such partner and enjoy this unspoiled, loving pieces of cinema history. There might never be such stories, or such movies again.  But if you can enjoy them, than your heart is still alive & that's all that matters. 

A.B.


LOVE, ITI xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment